Alain Vigneault met with the media on Monday afternoon after practice and said (NYR):
- On Mika for Tuesday, "at this time I would say that with everything that I have seen, in talking with Rammer and Mika, that at this point everything seems fine. Unless something happens from now until tomorrow, he should be in the lineup."
- On winning without Mika, "that is what you gotta do, when someone is out it's an opportunity for somebody else for more ice time and a bigger role. We just finished a real challenging part of our schedule, I thought we responded real well on the weekend with a strong game against LA and followed it up with a greasy win against Boston. We had a day off yesterday, had a good practice today and tomorrow Anaheim is coming in here and we will have to be real good."
- On the grind, "if you look right now and not just at our division, the league the way it is. I don't think I have ever seen it this competitive where every game is decided by making a defensive play or offensive play at a certain time. It's competitive and I think that for everyone involved, fans, coaches and players, it's great. You gotta be ready and be at your best and that is how you give yourself a chance to win."
- On Desharnais staying in the lineup, "I thought that in the 9 games that he stepped in for Mika, David played well. That line was effective, it had some better nights than others but he stepped in there and Kreids and Buchhie had some very good games and very good looks. With Mika back, I want to put him back with Kreids and Buchie, there is some good chemistry there. For tomorrow's game I decided to keep Davey in."
- On Desharnais playing in a different role, "there is no doubt that Kreids and Buchie are good players but I also think that Jimmy and Paul are good players. If you have looked, for most of the games we have played lately, every forward and D, their minutes were spread out and that there was energy in the tank and that guys could go out and play. I think that is one of the reasons why we have had some success in that challenging time, we used our bench, used our 6 defense and had the energy to get it done. Davey, with Jimmy and Paul, I expect that to be an effective line for us. You look at the games that we win and it's a four line team, team oriented. That is how we win, we need contributions from everyone in our lineup."
- On Mika coming back and the PP, "we are going to put him back with his unit because of that right handed shot, it adds more dimension and look to the PP. Today he practiced with his group and hopefully they will be good for us in the next game because against Boston there quite a few PP/PK on both sides, hadn't had a lot of those in a while. Hopefully we stay out of the box and get our share of the PPs."
- On McDonagh, "I told him after the Boston game that he looked powerful on the ice, being able to push away from people to break out, to get out of our end and in his 1 on 1 battles against key opponents, tough opponents, he was powerful, strong, he was winning those and that is how we need Mac to play."
- On road wins, "since I have been here, I talked to Arnie and quite a few of our guys about it, we've been the second best road team in the league and it's simply because there isn't a road way or home way to play. There is one way and it's the right way. When other teams have the gap you gotta get pucks behind them, when you have room you gotta make a play. On the road or at home the ice is the same and the same plays have to be made wherever you are."