Alain Vigneault spoke with reporters on Monday after practice and said (NYR):
- On Derek Stepan, "I would say probable. Hurt his hip a little bit during the game so kept him off and he should skate tomorrow morning and I think right now he should be alright."
- Same lineup then, "most likely, at this time that is what I am leaning towards."
- On Buchnevich, "involved, assertive, competitive, I thought that allowed him to make some nice plays. It was a better game for him. Again, such a young player and anyone who watches the game, he has tremendous amount of skill and sees the ice well. He just needs to get more experience and get stronger and he will continue to make those plays and be more effective in one on ones."
- On the PP and Brandon Pirri, "it's something that I have talked to him about and my coaching staff about. We are getting so few PPs, other than one game in the last game where we got 3-4, it's 1 or 2 PPs a game and last night, we scored, it was the right call and offside, but we moved the puck better last night. We were hungrier to get to loose puck, way more effective and at the end of the day it's 2 on 1 side and 1 on the other so it was more of a 5 on 5 game. It is an important thing though, when we scored there, you could feel the momentum and worked real well on both of those PPs."
- On MTL with Julien, "they have only had one game and the one game I saw they were coming off the 5 day break and had had an afternoon practice, no morning skate. I know Claude real well, his teams are well structured. He has a couple of practices, they are coming and there should be a real sense of urgency on their part so we will definitely need to be focused and to execute real hard."
- On Brady Skjei, "if you look at last night, the number of times he was able to go back for pucks and was able to beat the forecheck just with his skating, it makes such a huge difference when you can beat the first forechecker with your skating or a quick move or quick pass, instead of spending 20-25 seconds defending, because we don't have the puck, the puck is out and we are transitioning. Him and Mac, when they go back for pucks, both of them have that ability to beat the first forechecker or to skate away from the pressure. It makes it a lot easier on our game instead of defending and that last night was one of Brady's most effective games as far as beating the forecheck."
- On Hayes, "He is just rounding out as a player. We are using him to kill penalties right now. That big body, he is understanding the game better at both ends, what he needs to do when he doesn't have the puck, to get it back and what he needs to do with it when he has it. He is one of our younger players and it's just about understanding the game better and putting it all together."
- "He is forcing a lot of turnovers? Yes, that body, that reach when you use it properly and are in the right structure you are going to create turnovers and a lot of their opportunities and chances come off of turnovers that they create, whether Grabs' speed or Kevin's reach. They counter quickly and again they got some real good looks."