Alain Vigneault met with the media following practice on Monday and said (NYR):
- On practice, "we had a good practice, worked on a couple of areas we needed to work on. A little bit of forecheck and zone time and got a lot out of it."
- On the lack of even strength scoring, "we are aware of it. Right now, except for that Toronto game where we scored 4 goals at 5 on 5, the other 5 games we have only scored two goals at 5 on 5. It's definitely an area we are working on, being more efficient coming into the zone and making certain plays and trusting their instincts. These guys have had pretty good numbers and we have done it on a four line basis and there is no doubt that we, in my estimation, improved the defensive side of the game but we need to score some goals and focus on our offensive zone. We get another opportunity tomorrow.'
- "For me, I see this as us being challenged, we are feeling adversity as a group and the solution lies inside that room. As a player you control what you can control, hard work, prep, making sure you analyze your game properly so that you can focus on the areas that you need to improve. That is where coaching comes in, to provide the right feedback and if we get our guys to improve their games individually, team will benefit, play better and win. When you win you are happy and when you don't win it's a little more challenging."
- On the feeling in the room, "there is no one that is happy with our results. I do think that certain parts of our game are headed in the right direction and our inability to capitalize when the other team has made mistakes has made it for a few guys, they are searching to put it all together. I see a strong group and I think this is going to help with our identity, searching for certain roles. It will help with our identity and character and allow our leadership group to establish themselves and right now everyone in the room knows that they are part of the solution and we are working extremely hard to put it together."
- Can you improve the offense without hurting the defensive play, "I see the opportunities we are generating, some of the looks we are generating, those looks are right there to be able to score. We need to be a little bit more quicker strike, traffic in front of the goalie. At the end of the day we have had some real good looks and I am confident that those looks will cash in sooner than later."
- On DeAngelo, "he had some real good moments and decisions with the puck, there is no doubt that the upside is there. His penalty was costly, he pushed the guy a little bit, fell on the goalie and the ref looking right at it he didn't call it, the ref 80ft behind calls it. I'm thinking that if he is a more veteran guy he probably doesn't get that call. He needs to establish himself, establish that respect with the refs. He had some good moments, I like the skill level and he did some good things."
- On Jesper Fast, for a guy that didn't have an exhibition game or a real practice, there is your typical hard working player. You know what you are going to get, an honest effort, hard, offensive forechecking and trying to make plays and a great effort defensively and that is what we did."