Alain Vigneault met with the media on Thursday and said (NYR):
- On Lias and Filip, "there is no doubt that our scouts picked some young players with a tremendous amount of upside. Both of those players at our camp have had some very good moments, both show a good skill set, strong will, seem to be very coachable and seem to be having fun. For us, I think every time they get on the ice they are looking to get better and that is what you are looking for with all of your players."
- Does it seem like they are just teenagers, "the theme of the slogan that talent has no age, they have been working on their skill level for quite some time. Filip has only played one game but Lias has played two and had some very good moments on the ice. We got four more games here and they will get opportunities to play and we will see what they do."
- On where Filip and JT will play, "I kept him at center and moved JT to the wing. JT, I know he can play all positions and play them all well. We know about his versatility, I need to find a bit more about Filip so I am going to keep him in the middle."
- Who will Filip play with, "JT and Buchnevich."
- On Desharnais, "what we saw yesterday, the passing ability, even though he is not a big player he has good puck protection skills and the speed is very good in my estimation. I liked his game last night except for that one play where he lost his guy in the third, his game was very good. He is getting accustomed to the new faceoff rules, he got kicked out quite a bit in the first half, the second half he didn't. I liked the dimension he brought for us and he will get another chance to play for us tomorrow."
- More on Desharnais, "when we signed him, on our depth chart he was number 3 and depending on where you put Kevin and Mika, depending on who is playing better he was either third or fighting with those guys. A few years ago he was getting 50 points. Like we have talked about with Pavs, in goal, we might be catching this young man at the right time also. Had a couple of teams last year, had been a Canadien all of his life, not sure he had a tremendous amount of opportunities this summer, he had some and we were a good one obviously because of what we had with our players and he took the opportunity and it was a good first game and hopefully it will continue."
- "we've only had two games, had some good practices. These next four games are going to be very important, not just for the young guys but some of our older guys. We need to find roles and slot players into a role that will permit us to win and have success. I'm looking at our team and who is on the PP, who is on the PK, how are we going to handle it, who on D will play the PP and kill penalties. We have added some right handed shots and they can be bonuses on the PP for the one touch pass and one timers. We have some good decisions and real internal competition and these four games in five nights will be very important, not just for the guys we will keep to stay but on who is going to play and what that role is going to be."
- On Bereglazov, "he just hasn't played yet. He will play tomorrow and probably more. We had quite a few defensemen and this is the way we slotted stuff so far but 4 in 5, he will get a chance to play and show us what he can do."