Alain Vigneault met with the media on Thursday before the Rangers traveled to Columbus and said (NYR):
- "there are definitely some areas with the puck, especially entries into the offensive zone where we had some great looks and didn't get anything out of it. It's definitely something that we addressed something on the ice at practice and will address tomorrow with video. Hopefully our execution will be a lot better."
- Is Smith going back in, "yes. It's been a few games now, like you saw, Kampf is coming out. If it was strictly on yesterday's game, Kampf wouldn't be coming out. Quite a few players didn't play as well as he did but the 6 games prior and the couple before played good and a few had money in the bank and Kampf will come out and Smytty will come in and hopefully play well for us."
- Will Smith get a run of games, "this is game by game for everybody. We have one spare up front and one on D. Logically, some guys have more money in the bank than others, but we have been playing some pretty good hockey lately. After watching the game, a real good first period and in first half of the second period we got away from the entries in the offensive zone, then we had that four minute span at the start of the third where they took over. We tried to respond but gave up a 5th goal."
- Smith will have to show you something, "everyone will have to show something, he is not the only one. Everyone has to come out and play well and that is what we expect as a group tomorrow."
- On how Smith handled things, "any player that sits out, one game, five or more, you don't want them to be happy about sitting out. You want them to continue to work real hard, do extra and the next time you are called upon, as a coaching staff and as teammates, you expect that guy to play well. Brendan has handled it like a pro, stayed focused. He wasn't happy about sitting out, there is no doubt, but he knows he is coming back in tomorrow and we expect him to play well and I am sure he expects to play well also."
- "that would be the same for everyone, everyone wants to dress and player, wants more ice time, and that is what you expect, to want to be out in big moments, in the big minutes. Guys want to be out there and show they can make the difference. Last night we have a one goal game going into the third, everyone has plays to make. Hayes' line that I liked, they made some good plays at both ends, the other lines might have been fighting it a bit more."
- On Henrik's desire to play, "with Henrik, it's how you play. With our schedule it permits me to stay with him. Last night he gave us a chance to stay in that game, especially in the second half of the second. We had some breakdowns early in the third and then I just thought of trying to get the momentum changed, it did work for a couple of shifts. We came real close and Davey had a chance to make it 4-4 but that fifth goal was a goal that I am sure Pavs would like to have back. It is what it is."