Alain Vigneault met with the media following the Rangers OT win over the Devils and said (NYR & NYR Game Notes)
- On Lias Andersson's game…"Last game I used him on the power play and today I wanted to get a sense of his understanding on the penalty killing. We're obviously trying to develop our young players but also trying to get an idea of where their game sense is. We haven't had a lot of time to practice specialty teams, we're doing a lot of video right now. We're trying to see how quick some of them can pick up. I thought for the most part he did all right."
- On the penalties impacting the ability to evaluate 5-on-5 game…"It does. A lot less 5-on-5 time right now. Usually most of the game is 5-on-5, on the positive side is we're getting a chance to work on our specialty teams, our power play, and our penalty killing. Guys are getting looks and opportunities. The rules are there, the players have been told, we showed them the video, and the quicker they pick up, the better we're going to be off as a team. The NHL wants to abide by those rules now."
- On evaluating Filip Chytil's style of play during practice versus a game…"We haven't seen him a lot because of his injury and he didn't go to Traverse City. In the three practices that we have seen him and tonight, it was just a continuation of what we saw during practice. He's a very smooth and good skater. Good set of hands, he was able to go into traffic. He does it in practice and his teammates aren't going to abuse him in practice, so it's interesting to see what he could do in the game. He got into traffic and made the plays that he had to make."
- On Chytil, "he played a good game, for a first game in the NHL, I think everyone saw the skating and skill set. There is no doubt that there is a tremendous amount of upside there and it was his first game and he ended it in pretty good fashion."
- On Desharnais, "other than the one shift in the third where he got beat on the wrong side, I thought most of his game was pretty good. The PP, he has experience and knows what he is doing. He skated well and made some good plays with the puck."