6:32PM: Alain Vigneault met with the media prior to tonight's game against the Sabres and said (NYR):
- On Kevin Hayes, "he skated this morning. We will see how he responds to that tonight. Depending on how he responds he would have to practice tomorrow to be able to play Saturday. We will see how he comes in tonight. I know definitely that Marc won't skate tomorrow so he won't play on the weekend. After tonight's game, depending on the situation I would say that...after tonight, depending on how Hayes is, we feel that if Hayes can practice and play then we shouldn't need to call anyone up but if Hayes is doubtful then we will need to call up and extra player."
- You would go out west with 6 D, "that is what we are going to have to decide after the game, what we are going to do there."
- Should Hayes not have played against the Isles, "looking at it, after a couple of days, he felt good, docs felt he was alright. He played and didn't get through. Looking back maybe we should have given him a little extra time but it's easy to say that after the fact. When a player is good to go and medically cleared, usually players go."
- On not having Hayes, "When JT plays the way that he did in the last game, I thought he played a real good game, Mika played a real strong game. Peter came in with Grabs and Quickie, very dependable defensively. David's line did what they had to do. Injuries are part of the game and when that happens someone else has to step up and for the most part we played one of our good defensive games and we want to follow that up tonight."
- On playing a simpler game, "numbers back, making sure that whether it's on the back check, we have numbers back or in our zone when we can outnumber the opposition we would like to outnumber them. With the puck, North/South is better than East/West, North/South is less chance of turnovers and when you do make a turnover North/South there are usually people in-between, when it's East/West there is a good chance the flow is coming your way and you can't gap up on the other team has space and time. We've been talking about certain areas with our group. We had a good game against Philly and want to follow it up tonight."