Alain Vigneault met with the media prior to Saturday's game against the Caps (NYR):
- Girardi said no changes tonight, "yea, he had another good skate this morning and if he continues to respond well I think he should be available for us tomorrow but we will see how he is tomorrow."
- Will you use the lines you did in practice, "yea. That is probably what I am leaning toward at this time. That gives us good balance against a real strong opponent that rolls four lines, is hard on the forecheck and have D that don't give you a lot of room. There are going to be a lot of puck battles and we will have to be good on those."
- On Zucc with Kreider, "It's something that I probably would have liked to do before tonight but because of the World Cup we weren't able to do it. But I see a lot of potential there also. Step and Nasher have been playing together for some time and I feel that those two with Jimmy should be a good line both ways also. "
- On Ovechkin, "I am pretty confident that we have two duos tonight with Kleiner and Marc. Ryan and Nick can also play. He's one of the best players in the world. He is going to get some looks and they have, in my estimation, three lines that can generate offense and they have a fourth line that is hard to play against. They were the Presidents' winner last year and they are a strong team and it will be a good game tonight."
- On Jimmy Vesey adjusting, "it's about getting up to speed with how the game is played and up to speed with how quick it is. So far Jimmy has done a good job, he is listening and learning and every shift is another shift where he is building experience. He is going through the process and is coming along fine."
- "Scoring goals and finishing but also subtle things like making plays at the line, making plays at the wall. We are spending a lot of time with him and our younger players going through what we expect as far as decision making with and without the puck. The more he plays the better he will be."
- Did you decide on a goalie for tomorrow, "no....thanks guys."