During the playoffs, Alain Vigneault said that one thing about Michael Grabner is that his game doesn't change when he is moved around the lineup.
Vigneault said that Grabner is someone who scares the opposition with his speed, forces turnovers and creates offensive opportunities.
Grabner scored 27 goals this season while mostly skating with Kevin Hayes and JT Miller.
Tags: Michael Grabner
5/22/17 | Brendan Smith's agent Anton Thun told Larry Brooks that Smith enjoyed his time playing with the Rangers and that he would "certainly consider" signing a new contract prior to becoming a UFA on July 1. (NY Post)
Thun noted though that Smith has not told him to "get a deal done" with the Rangers and that Smith will be looking for a "good fit with a good organization in his next contract. (NY Post)
He noted that the Rangers definitely "qualify" as a good fit but that for Smith to pass up free agency he will need to sign a contract that "reflects market value." (NY Post)
Tags: Brendan Smith
Nick Holden played in 80 games for the Rangers this year, scoring 11 goals, 23 assists, a plus 13 rating and an average of 20:34 per game.
Holden played the second most minutes of any Ranger during the regular season, was second in ice time per game at 20:36 and played 18:18 at even strength, 1:42 on the PK and 36 seconds on the PP.
In 49 games before the All-Star break, Holden had 8 goals and 16 assists, a plus 18 rating and an average of 20:15 per game.
Tags: Nick Holden
The Rangers will have the 21st pick in the first round of the 2017 NHL draft, their first pick in the first round since taking Brady Skjei in 2012.
The Rangers traded their picks in:
- 2013 to acquire Rick Nash
- 2014 to acquire Marty St. Louis
- 2015 as a condition as part of the Marty St. Louis trade
- 2016 to acquire Keith Yandle
Jeff Gorton said that he tried to move into the first round last year, with some saying it was to try and acquire the fourth overall pick from Edmonton.
The Penguins defeated Ottawa in double OT during last night's Game 7 to win the Eastern Conference Final for the second straight year.
The Penguins are aiming to to be the first team since the Red Wings in 1997 and 1998 to win the Stanley Cup in back to back years.
They will face the Predators starting on Monday in Pittsburgh.
Larry Brooks wrote, when the season ended, that the Rangers need more consistency from Kevin Hayes moving forward. (NY Post)
Brooks wrote that Hayes has not been "forceful enough" in using his size, reach and puck skills in getting to the net. (NY Post)
He did note that Hayes adapted well to being put in different positions by Alain Vigneault, including more time in the defensive zone. (NY Post)
Alain Vigneault said in February that Kevin Hayes is "rounding out as a player" and starting to better understand the game at both ends of the rink.
Brendan Smith said during the playoffs that he had been "really impressed" with Brady Skjei since joining the Rangers and that he is sometimes "in awe" of the plays that Skjei makes. (NYR)
Smith said that Skjei is "wiser" than his age and that he doesn't see the kind of mistakes that other rookie defensemen tend to make. (NYR)
Smith said that Skjei is "strong" at both ends of the ice and "that's what you need from a defenseman." (NYR)
Tags: Brady Skjei
While speaking about Mika Zibanejad on breakup day, Alain Vigneault said that Zibanejad is at a crossroad in his career and needs to "figure it out."
Vigneault said that Zibanejad has the "tools and capabilities to be a high end center in this league and needs to put it together."
He said that Zibanejad is in a phase of figuring things out and understanding how to play in different situations and what those situations may require him to do.
Tags: Mika Zibanejad
JT Miller said earlier this season that the Rangers expect him to bring his "A" game on nightly basis and that is what he also expects of himself. (CBC)
He said that he challenges himself to be better every year and that he has high expectations for how he wants to perform. (CBC)
- Larry Brooks writes that Miller was the Rangers best forward through the first 50 games of the season before going through an "unfortunate slide." (NY Post)
- Miller had 16 goals and 19 assists in the first 49 games this season, prior to the All-Star break, and 6 goals and 18 assists in the 45 games that followed, including the playoffs.
- In 24 games in January and February, Miller had 7 goals and 15 assists.
- In 19 games in March an April, Miller had 3 goals and 5 assists.
Tags: J.T. Miller
It was reported when he signed that around 20 teams were interested in Pionk.
Pionk said that he likes the Rangers style of play as well as the success they have had the past few years. (Duluth News Tribune)
Tags: Neal Pionk
In 5 games at the World Championships, Oscar Lindberg had 2 assists, a plus 6 rating and 18:10 per game while helping Sweden win the Gold Medal.
Lindberg spent most of the tournament on a line with Washington's Nicklas Backstrom and Toronto's William Nylander.
Sweden's coach Rikard Gronborg said that despite Lindberg playing more of a defensive role with the Rangers, they view him as an offensive player who fit in well with Backstrom and Nylander. (HockeySverige)
Tags: Oscar Lindberg
Mats Zuccarello said that the hopes to be able to play for Norway in the Olympics next year despite the NHL saying that they won't shut down their season. (Nettavisen)
Zuccarello said that he would like to have a chat with the Rangers about possibly playing in the Olympics and that if the decision is up to him then he will go." (Nettavisen)
Asked why he didn't go play for Norway in the World Championships after the Rangers season ended, Zuccarello said that the team was doing well without him and that he wanted to take some time to relax. (Nettavisen)
Tags: Mats Zuccarello
Vigneault said that if you were to ask the players that question then they would likely say yes, while adding that from his perspective everything will sort itself out at training camp.
- Girardi played 63 games this season, scoring 4 goals, 11 assists, 19:06 per game, 44% of the shot attempts at 5 on 5. He played in all 12 playoff games, 2 assists, 22:06 per game 45.4% of the shot attempts at 5 on 5.
- Staal played 72 games this season, scoring 3 goals, 7 assists, 19:11 per game, 46.6% of the shot attempts at 5 on 5. He played in all 12 playoff games, 0 points, 19:15 per game, 44.9% of the shot attempts at 5 on 5.
He added that there are some players who are "taking strides" and deserve more minutes and that would mean that other players would get fewer minutes.
Asked about his season, Girardi said that it was definitely an improvement over his 2015-16 season but that he wishes he could have done more in the playoffs. (SNY)
Tags: Dan Girardi, Marc Staal
Henrik Lundqvist said that he suffered a knee injury in Saturday's semi-final win over Finland.
Lundqvist said that around lunch time on Sunday he did not think that he would be able to play but the pain "disappeared" after undergoing acupuncture treatment. (Expressen)
He said that some pain returned to his knee about halfway through the game but said that all he was thinking about was stopping the next shot.(Expressen)
Tags: Henrik Lundqvist
Following his win in the Gold Medal game of the World Championships, Henrik Lundqvist said:
- What does winning mean, "so many things. Sitting in NY ten days ago, this is what I pictured myself, to be here with my brother, to hold this trophy. What a game, so exciting. It's been an amazing week, to be part of this team, this group, to spend time with my brother and then play exciting hockey, that is what I was looking for. It was very disappointing being in New York, the way we ended it. This really, makes me feel a lot better." (IIHF)
- What was going through your mind in the shootout, "stay calm." (IIHF)
- Is the trophy heavier than you thought, "yes. Not the medal, but the trophy is pretty heavy." (TSN)
- What part of the experience will you take with you, "everything. I think 5-6 reasons why I came here and it turned out to be an amazing time for me. To come and play with my brother and win this. It's a great group to be part of, I knew that coming here. To play for your country and to see the flag go up, it's just an amazing feeling. It was very disappointing end in New York the way we did but I recharged and wanted to play with my brother again and come here and experience this was awesome." (TSN)
Tags: Henrik Lundqvist
Henrik Lundqvist and Sweden defeated Canada 2-1 in a shootout to win the Gold Medal at the World Hockey Championships.
Lundqvist stopped 42 of 43 shots during regulation and OT including 20 of 21 in the third period and OT.
He also stopped all four shots he faced in the shootout and was named the Player of the Game.
Tags: Henrik Lundqvist, Oscar Lindberg
While speaking about the defense on breakup day, Alain Vigneault said that the Rangers are "definitely" looking at bringing in another young defenseman next year.
Dan Girardi (33), Kevin Klein (32), Marc Staal (30), Nick Holden (30), Steven Kampfer (28), Ryan McDonagh (27) and Brady Skjei (23) are all under contract for next season.
Brendan Smith (28) is a UFA and Adam Clendening (24) is an RFA.
While writing about the center position and potential moves this offseason, Larry Brooks writes that the Rangers could try and use Derek Stepan to land a top-pair right defenseman. (NY Post)
Moving Stepan would also allow the Rangers to give Oscar Lindberg a bigger role at center as well as protect him in the expansion draft. (NY Post)
Brooks notes that potentially moving Kevin Hayes, as opposed to Stepan, likely wouldn't bring "close to the yield" that the Rangers could get for Stepan. (NY Post)
He writes that Lindberg has been under-utilized so far in his time with the Rangers and that it would be a "shame" to lose him in the expansion draft because of limited ice time. (NY Post)
Tags: Derek Stepan, Kevin Hayes
6:22PM: Lundqvist reportedly made an "acrobatic save" in the final moments of the third period and had to receive treatment after the game.
Reports indicate that as of now Lundqvist should be able to play in the Gold Medal Game. (Expressen)
3:27PM: Sweden defeated Finland 4-1 today to advance to the Gold Medal Game at the World Championships.