Alain Vigneault met with the media on Friday after practice and said (NYR):
- On the schedule change, "It is what it is. We tried to get out yesterday, we always like, when we go out West, with the 2-3 hour time change, to get out the day before and have a practice, we couldn't get out. It is what it is, we came in today, had a 40 minute, high tempo practice. We will fly over there, have a good stretch and meeting tomorrow and 6:00 game their time, 8:00 for us. So we will be fine."
- On practice today, "we have two games before the bye week. We just need to play a little better in those 1 on 1 situations. You can have any system that you want, at the end of the day, 75% of that system are 1 on 1 situations. If you win yours when you have the puck there is a chance you will get a scoring chance. If you lose yours when you don't have the puck the other team will likely get a scoring chance or opportunity to get to the net. We worked on a lot of those situations today, I liked our energy, our focus, and now we go to Arizona and play a good game."
- On Mika, "it was on the right track. We are like any team, I looked at Chicago in that game, their top players, Toews, Kane, Sharp scored the winning goal, their top players were the best players on the ice. Mika is one of our highly skilled offensive forwards, playing often against the other teams most skilled line, like Hayes, we need our top guys to play at at top level. I thought his last game was a step in the right direction and I need that to continue. He was off for a little while and we are giving him some patience here, but we need him to step up here."
- On Buchnevich moving up, "I like the chemistry between Pav and Mika, always had some good chemistry, it's also one of the units we use on the PP. I put that second unit that we have been using, with Jimmy, David and Nasher together. Easier at 5 on 5, easier on the PP. Hopefully that will give us some positive results."
- On JT with Mika and Buchnevich, "JT is a power forward and with Mika and Buch, how they play, him getting in the forecheck, winning puck battles, getting to the front of the net, a little like Kreids, screens the goalie, makes it hard on the D. I think those are good fits that will help us moving forward."
- On the bye week, "I'd like to think that everyone wants to go on this on a good note, feeling good about this, good about our game. We have Arizona and Vegas, we will have two tough matchups. On the road our record is improving after a slow start, we need to continue that and it's going to be good. I think the guys today, just by looking at every game that is played, you look at the standings you know how important every game is. We were not at our best against Chicago and we are confident that we will bounce back tomorrow."