Alain Vigneault met with the media following practice on Wednesday and said (NYR):
- On what was good last night, "definitely there are a lot of things that we did the right way, especially our play without the puck, how we defended in our zone, how we defended through the neutral zone. That has to carry over into tomorrow' game. We were able to find the back of the net a lot more yesterday than we had in quite a few of the last games. I think part of the reason we were able to do that is that we were sounder when we didn't have the puck. We need that to carry over and we played Buffalo once, it was a big game, it ended up the right way in OT. They are a good team so we will have to be strong."
- On Staal and Hayes, "Marc won't be available tomorrow. We don't expect it to be long but it's day to day. Kevin is coming along, he is day to day, hopefully in the next couple of days he gets on the ice."
- Who will fill in for Marc, "Kampfer will be in tomorrow. We will sort out our D pairs tomorrow. Kampf has played some good hockey for us this year when we needed him. He is skating well, moving the puck well and we feel real good about his game and what he brings."
- On Nash scoring, "Rick is a big part of our team, a big part of that leadership group that I rely on, that our group relies on. When he is getting the looks and playing the way he is and not getting rewarded, it's a good example of a guy staying with it, keep working, and I am very confident that yesterday, those two goals, will be a sign of good things to happen for him and the rest of our group. He stayed real positive and he knows that we need him to score and get on the scoresheet. He puts a lot of pressure on himself but I am very confident that yesterday was a step in the right direction for him and our group."
- Will you bring a spare defenseman out west, "I would think that by Friday I will know if Marc is good. Right now we have 12 healthy forwards, 6 healthy D, Hartford is close by for tomorrow if we need something at the last minute. By Friday we will practice and know if Kevin or Marc are practicing or close to. If they are close to but not quite there, we might have to call someone up. If they are close then we will just play it day by day."
- Did Staal or Hayes do anything today, "Marc did rehab, Kevin did a lot today. The only thing he didn't do was go on the ice. Hard bike ride, hard off ice work. Did the same thing yesterday. I think he is real close to skating here, it could be a next 24-48 hours."
- Who is the goalie tomorrow, "I would say Hank."
- On Grabner, "you saw another one of his goals, he is forchecking in the neutral zone, using his stick, he has been able to do that so many times. He has a great stick and that breakaway speed is real tough to handle and right now he is scoring and we need that production and we need it to carry through the lineup."
- On that line, "I thought they played well, very sound defensively, those three guys, they were in on a couple of chances offensively. I will keep that line together tomorrow and hopefully they will give us a good game."