Alain Vigneault met with reporters following today's practice (NYR):
- On different lines, "this was just a look I wanted to see today, I'm not 100% sure we will do this tomorrow but I do think that Oscar has played well. He seems to feel more and more comfortable with more responsibilities. There is no doubt that if we go this way, we have some pre-scouting that we have to do and Ottawa is playing tonight. If we do decide to go this route those are two pretty good players and it might be a good fit for him."
- On Tanner Glass bringing an edge, "I think that part of winning games is being able to wear the opposition down. You wear them down in different forms, sometimes through great puck management and you never turn it over and you are always making them go back for pucks, sometimes it's about putting the puck in an area where you can finish a few hits and wear some defensemen down. Tanner, no doubt, brings us that physicality. In the two games since he has been back, I liked the one in Brooklyn, I thought they spent some time in the other team's end and they did a pretty good job. In the last game it was a different type of game, in the third period we had 50% of the time in their zone where they had 35% in our zone but we didn't get much out of it. There is no doubt, I have never shied away from saying how I like what he can bring but there still needs to be more there offensively and maybe the fact that he has gotten some big minutes in Hartford and got his hands going, maybe he will be able to help us moving forward."
- On the defense, "I firmly believe that Ryan is on the right track as far as skating with the puck and making better decisions with it. I do think that Marc and Dan and Boyler can be a lot better than they have shown us. I think Keith is coming along, there will always be moments in games where Keith is going to make a low percentage play that could be high reward but for the most part I have really liked his last 3-4 games since the Boston games, he has been more effective. Dylan is a young D going through the process. Our transition and our breakouts start with Marc and Dan and Boyler and those guys, we need those guys to handle the puck better, no doubt.'
- Are McD, Staal and Girardi still feeling their injuries, "I would say that, in October that was a definite possibility, now it's beginning of December. Should have turned the corner here, we gotta turn the corner. They will get better, they are very conscious of it. How many times do you see Marc Staal, the Philly game and the last game, how many times you make a decision at the blue line where it costs a goal. Very rarely. He knows that they are standing up and there is no room and you gotta get it behind them. I know Marc knows the right play and that he has done it many times before and that I am confident the next time that situation happens the right play will occur."
- On the forward going out West, "We just talked, JR and I with Jeff. We will get through Sunday and then analyze what we do moving forward. There is obviously some money situations here that come into play. We have not put anyone on IR or used Long-Term either. We are discussing that and will see what happens tomorrow."
- On the extra players for the road trip, "We are in that process right now. Might not come with us Monday but might meet us on Tuesday or Wednesday."
- On Kevin Hayes, "that is Marc giving him the puck there when he has no business giving him the puck there. It's not Hayes' fault. There are some areas to his game that he is working on and hopefully we will get him to where he needs to be."