Alain Vigneault met with the media following the Rangers OT win over Pitt and said (NYR, NYR Game Notes):
- On the eventful third period…"There was certainly a lot going on in that last period. Momentum is a funny thing sometimes. We kill off the penalty at the beginning of the third, we score on our power play and they start playing on their heels a little bit. We get a little bit of momentum, get some good looks and we're able to tie it up right after they make it 3-2. Get a power play and a great play by Kreids to Mika (Zibanejad) for a tap-in. Then Mika was able to score in overtime. I won't say anything about that ten seconds left call, I'll leave that alone and take the two points and go from there. "
- On Alexandar Georgiev…"There's no doubt that he kept us in it early in the game. They had some real good looks. He was strong. I'm sure he would like to have that third goal back that he gave up, but he made the penalty shot save there on one of the best, if not the best, player in the league at this time. He's doing what you want a goaltender to do, give yourself a chance to win and that's what he's doing for us."
- On the penalty shot, "make the save...I'm not gonna get into the call. In my opinion it was questionable but Alex had a save to make, with 10 seconds left, to bring it to OT and he made the save. That gave us the chance to get a point and bring it to OT and win it in OT."
- On the comeback win, "it should, again, we have had some good third periods lately. We talked before going out in the third about killing a penalty and winning the period, which is what our guys did. We are battling and competing and every game is a new game and we are trying our best."
- Was it the right call to make for the penalty shot, "I think that if he feels the goaltender took the net off, it's an automatic call."
- Do you recall the last time you saw a call like that, "No. For me it's a first."