Alain Vigneault met with the media on Thursday following the Rangers win over the Devils (Rangers game notes):
- On the play of Brandon Pirri…"He certainly has been very effective on the power play. You could tell that he has a good release. But for me overall, the fact that both teams had some young players out on the ice with a lot of energy, maybe execution-wise there were a couple decisions made that were off, but the energy and feistiness was there. A lot of our guys right now are trying to make an impression and it's fun to see."
- On the play of John Gilmour…"For a young guy playing in his first game and getting an opportunity on the power play, I thought he was very confident in his abilities. I thought he moved the puck real well and not just on the power play but going back and trying to beat the forecheck and skate with it in, trying to find the open man. For his first game in the NHL he played to his strengths and that's what you want players to do."
- On the play of Dylan McIlrath..."There's no doubt that there's an improvement. You can tell Dylan's more confident in his abilities. He's trying to make plays defensively. He's using his lower reach and strength and he has to continue that moving forward."
- On Lapierre, "we used him on the PK and certain faceoffs in our own end, I thought that his line, for the most part other than some shifts in the first period, were pretty effective. He is on a tryout and trying to get into the NHL. He's a hard worker and giving it his best shot." (NYR)
- On Jimmy Vesey, "breakaway first shift, eh? How does it get much better than that? That would have been fun to see him score but overall he had a good game. He had some good looks 5 on 4 and good looks 5 on 5. It's part of the process and he is only going to get better." (NYR)