Alain Vigneault met with the media on Monday night following the Rangers OT win over the Islanders and said (NYR Game Notes, NYR):
- On the game winning goal…"There's no doubt it was a really good move against an experienced player. I think Neal played a good game today, he got that goal. He was good in his decision making with the puck and played a real strong game."
- On the penalties being called…"We received an email with a short video today on exactly that. They're going to be looking for slashing and making those calls. The faceoff situation is also going to be real stricter. Those are the rules and we know what they are. It's like with everything else, you have to adjust. They are definitely calling the slashing and want to take it out of the game."
- On having Lindy Ruff on the bench…"It couldn't be any smoother. His experience and his knowledge that he brings to our group and our team is evident by the way he conducts himself. I think that transition is going to be really smooth and beneficial to our group."
- On Lias Andersson, "I thought he had some real good moments, his decision making on the ice, was looking to make plays with the puck, chippy when the opportunity was there. Played with some bite. We had four guys play tonight that played their first game in the NHL and all of them from Neal to Fontaine to Vinni to Lias. They must have been nervous but got a couple of shifts on the way and I thought they played well."
- On Pavelec, "tough to evaluate, wasn't really tested. Maybe 1-2 scoring chances, tough to evaluate in a game like this. With the number of penalties, we have to adjust but there wasn't a lot of 5 on 5 play to evaluate our players. Our players know it and we will reinforce it before the next game and hopefully play more at 5 on 5."