Alain Vigneault met with the media following the morning skate and said (NYR):
- On Shattenkirk, "he has been skating for a while. Today was his first team morning skate. He is coming along. I think him and Rammer have narrowed down here a plan for him to play. We are looking at the next couple of weeks. Won't be a lot of practice time but he is coming along real well, skating for a long time, his rehab is right where it's supposed to be. It will be in that six week range."
- Is he going on the trip, "he was but I'm not sure anymore because of the storm. We are going to have to fly out earlier tomorrow, I'm not sure of all the dynamics."
- On the young defense, "they are competing hard, giving their best every time they are on the ice, very coachable. Working to get better. We are trying to tighten up a couple of areas, keep shots below 50 would be a good one. They are working real hard and it's what you want from your players."
- On the young player enthusiasm, "what we have right now is those kids putting their first foot in the NHL and trying to make a statement. You have some other players, sophomore or second year players trying to build their identity, prove they can assume a bigger role and make a statement. We have our four older guys, Hank, Zuccy, Marc Staal and Chris Kreider who are NHL players, you have Davey also. Trying to help everyone out. We are one game at a time focused, one of the best teams in the NHL coming into our building tonight, very big, high scoring, quick team. We will need to be at our best."
- On Vesey, "for me, Jimmy is like Brady, Hayes, he's a second/third year player that is getting a real good opportunity to have a bigger role and he has to make a statement. So far I have really liked that line, him, Vladdy and Zuccy have had some good puck possession time, good offensive looks, defensively they have been responsible. I like what those three are bringing."
- On Namestnikov, "smart player, highly skilled. There is no doubt that he sees the game well with the puck. He knows where to go, he has good breakaway speed, I know he has played wing and center but he looks comfortable in the middle. Real nice kid, just wants to play and very easy to coach."