Alain Vigneault met with the media on Thursday prior to the Rangers game against the Devils (NYR):
- On Brandon Pirri being a top-nine player, "I would say that at this point he has to be in our top nine. He is an offensive skilled player, we have been talking about having three lines that can score and a fourth line that has more of a role, PK, faceoffs in our own end. He is shooting for that top-nine and there is also what we are going to do with that 13th forward. Is it a guy who can pop into the top-nine or is he a fill-in on the fourth line. We have said this a few times, we will have some decisions to make. There are some guys here who have practices real well. We have only played one game and there are five more to go and opportunity to show what they have got."
- Has Pirri practices well, "yes. He has practiced real well, has worked real well on the PP on the half-wall, so far. He is definitely going to get a real good look."
- On Jimmy Vesey, "I remember Hayes telling me before Jimmy went to Traverse City that he was real nervous. I told him to tell him that it's a first step, etc, etc, etc, but a kid playing his first game. There are going to be some jitters but that is normal and to be expected. Everything we have seen from Traverse City to practice habits are very positive. He is starting to understand what it is and I am looking forward and I am sure he is looking forward to his first game."
- More on Vesey, "first game as a pro, you always remember whether it be regular season or exhibition."
- On adjustments for Vesey, "everything about our league is pace and speed and reads and he will figure it out, he needs to figure it out if he is going to play at this level. So far, he seems to not only have the skill set but a little bit of bite and willingness to go into tough areas. He is playing with a center that he knows and with Rick Nash so he is getting two good players to show him his capabilities and we are hoping for a good game from him tonight."
- On Brady Skjei or Nick Holden being used on the right, "yes, wanted to get through the first two games. We made a first set of cuts, we are not going to make anymore significant ones, we have four games in six nights, that is where we will be experimenting with lines and duos. I would say that both of them are going to get a look at this point. In talking with Nick, he feels real comfortable there, he has more experience. It's definitely an avenue we will look at."
- No cuts over the weekend, "I would say going into that 3rd game in 4 nights is when we will be making our next set of more serious decisions."
- On Henrik, "he will be practicing here on Saturday. Without having talked to him I would say that he will probably get in 1 and a half games, the last one for sure and depending how he feels in practice but he will have almost six full days off and probably champing at the bit to get at it."
- The stretch after the final game, "we have a great stretch there, some team building plans and some good final practices before we start our first game."