Newly acquired Ranger Brendan Smith spoke with the media today after practice and said (NYR):
- Were you surprised, "I was a little surprised. I'm excited to be on a good team in the playoff hunt. That is really exciting and I love playoff hockey. It's an exciting time to come to a team like this."
- On being back with Stepan and McDonagh, "it's awesome. You don't get to see them enough on the road or in different cities. It's cool to rekindle that friendship we have and build it off there. They are great guys and they help with the familiarity. It's helped me a lot."
- Were you paired with McDonagh at Wisconsin, "I played with Mac a little bit there in college. We switched partners in three years but we have played with each other quite a bit."
- How does it work being both lefties, "I played the right side a lot, on many different teams. I enjoy the right side and I know that he likes his dominant left side. Not sure if that is the pairing, don't hold me to that. We were trying different things today so we will see what coach says. I think that their is a good D corp here and we can work on it."
- What can you bring, "I want to be real competitive and help the team in that way. Try to help out the boys in any way that they need and for sure, my skating and strength and toughness will definitely help."
- On looking at free agency, "I don't. I just go and play and the chips will lay where they are. That is how I want to go about it and not even think about unrestricted or teams or money. I just want to go and try to go and win a Cup with these guys and that is the biggest thing."
- On dealing with being with a new team, "my little brother was traded twice. I asked him a couple of things, he knows how it is. Having Step and McDonagh, good buddies with Pirri as well, so having those guys help you out and show you around. It's helped me a lot so far and it will continue to be a good situation for myself."
- How much pressure do you put on yourself, "the pressure is an interesting thing. I always put pressure on myself to compete and play at a high level and if I play well then I will help the team. You put those things together and it's a key to success and I'm not trying to pressure myself to do more than I can do. Try to keep it simple, get used to the system and teammates and hopefully it's a quicker process and I can go into the playoffs with that."
- On playing at MSG, "It's weird to be on the opposite side of the spectrum but it's exciting. It's such a great building, it's so cool and it's a great place to play on the opposite side, let alone being the home team. My first game is on the road and that will be more familiar because I have been the away team in Boston and then get ready for MSG."