Brendan Smith was on NHL Tonight on Thursday evening and said the following about staying with the Rangers:
- On the deal, "it was really exciting. It's a little bit of a whirlwind because there is that period where you can talk to other teams and you listen and feel out the other options but for me, playing the end of the season with the Rangers, everything just fit. It seemed like a good situation for myself and my family."
- On his pairing with Brady Skjei, "it's a big impact. Brady makes my game a lot easier, he's unbelievable. He's an up and coming defenseman that everyone should watch. He has so much talent and made it really easy on me. We had a good little chemistry, I know I have chemistry playing with McDonagh playing at Wisconsin in college. That had a big impact and I think the familiarity with the boys helps the situation."
- What is the culture like, "I really enjoyed it. The captain is one of my best friends. It was good because I could have some input and tell him how we did things with the Red Wings and how that could help in different situations and areas that we worked on with our PK and stuff like that. That transition made it really easy for us and it helped move us further in our playoff run."
- On his comfort with the Rangers, "I know where my game is at. For some of those years when you are younger you are trying to figure out who you are. Are you an offensive defenseman, defensive shutdown kind of guy. My game is best when I play with some jam, I love taking care of the front of the net for guys like Henrik. I like to take care of the defensive side first and if I get the chance to jump up in the rush that is always fun. Everyone wants to get points and score and it's fun but the biggest thing is that I need to take care of my side first and then jump up.
- On living in NY, "it was kind of interesting. It was tough to get used to at the start but having Ryan there, he lived in TriBeca and I lived in SoHo and he showed me around and Brady and Kevin Hayes brought me around. I was only there for a short time but they helped me get used to it. Taking the subway to work is a little interesting but it's a fun city."