Eric Staal spoke on MSG after the game and said:
- "It's a ton of emotion from the moment the trade happened but it's been positive since that moment and joining this group. It's a great group of guys who made me feel welcome right off the bat. Feels nice to get the win which is what we are focused on as a group. We will enjoy it tonight and get back to work tomorrow and continue on."
- On the feeling out process, "there is a lot going through my head, not just personally but system-wise. I need to gain AV's trust in my abilities and what I can do for him and how I can help this group. A lot of areas I can continue to get better at and more comfortable in. It's a starting point and continue on and look forward to the next game."
- On being on the ice at the end of the game, "no question. You want to be counted on in big moments. You want to be out there. Our guys competed hard all the way through. Not the best start but we got better as it went on. Huge goal by Step to close it out."
- On the character, "and swagger. You need that. There is a confidence and a feeling in this room regardless of the score or what the game is. They will be able to find a way. Tonight was a classic example, it wasn't our best start but a lot of poise and confidence and ability to battle and fight and we got some good players that can make plays."
- Will it get more comfortable now, "yea, no question. More comfortable every day. It will take some time, 12 years with one team is a long but and there are things I will get comfortable with. It's a step and I am super excited."