On Friday June 23, 2017, the Rangers did the following:
- Traded Derek Stepan & Antti Raanta to Arizona for Anthony DeAngelo and the #7 pick.
- With the #7 pick the Rangers drafted Swedish center Lias Andersson.
- With the #21 pick the Rangers drafted Czech center Filip Chytil.
- Jeff Gorton spoke about the Stepan trade earlier in the day and after the pick of Chytil mentioned that the Rangers were attempting to rebuild on the fly.
- Gordie Clark spoke about both first round picks.
- Alain Vigneault spoke briefly about the decision to trade Derek Stepan.
- The Rangers were reportedly trying to move up to #3 and reportedly willing to trade #7 and #21 to do so.
On Saturday June 24, 2017, the Rangers have picks 102 (4th round), 145 (5th round), 157 (6th round), 207 (7th round)
Adam Rotter: The Rangers have used the second day of the draft the past few years to make trades, both to send out key players and bring in new key players. Nick Holden was acquired last year on Draft Saturday and two years ago the Rangers traded Cam Talbot and Carl Hagelin and acquired Antti Raanta.
I don't know what potential player moves might come today, it would seem as if the goalie market is strong enough to wait for July 1 to find a back up, but I am sure the Rangers will be active today. At the very least I could see the Rangers trade down with their picks to try and acquire a few more just to add more depth to organizational pipeline. The Rangers first two picks were European and the team has a history of going to Europe in the later rounds and I would expect that to continue.