Henrik Lundqvist met with the media at Rangers break up day on Tuesday and said (SNY):
- On emotions thinking about the future, "right now you think more about the season we just played and try to analyze it the right way. We all know that there are going to be changes over the summer. Part of me is a little excited about what is ahead, I hope we take some good steps in the right direction. Ever since they told us this is the plan, we always, every day coming to the rink and helping the young guys improve as much as they can in this little stretch but also over the summer to make sure they come well prepared for the fall. You don't know who is going to show up but whoever is going to be here, we are going to compete and be sure we have a better year and that is that."
- On AV being fired, "it's disappointing but you understand that we didn't get the job done and when that happens, change is going to happen. We had players leave, now the coaches leave. We all feel, I should say that we hoped and expected more when we started this season and then things happen along the way. We talked about it earlier, having five important pieces hurt for a little bit there hurt us a lot. We were just not able to recover and changes were made and it was a tough stretch after that."
- Are you going to the Worlds, "I haven't decided yet. For me, it's two things, it's physically and mentally. Physically I have been dealing with a knee injury pretty much all year. It's been under control but it's something I need to address now and I will meet with the doctors here in the next couple of days, get an MRI and make sure that I do all the things to be 100% when I start my training and prep for next season. That is number one and mentally it's been draining the last couple of months. To go to the Worlds you need to be on top of your game mentally and physically and find that strength and right now I need some time to see if I have it. Obviously I'm also waiting for my meetings with the doctors and making sure I do all the right things to be able to practice and prepare the way I want over the summer for next season."
- Is the knee injury from last year, "same knee but I started the season and it was fine and felt good and then got bumped into early on, maybe late October or early November and it's been there and something I had to deal with. It's not affecting my play but something that, when every day you have to look after it, it's not ideal. I think it's part of playing in this league. You play every day and make sure that you do whatever is necessary to do what is needed to play. Now I see an opportunity to get the right treatments and feel 100%."
- On next year needing to be about winning, "I think that the focus the last couple of months has been a lot on improving and getting better and being a little realistic about the team we had here and the guys we had coming up. If I compare the last two months with the runs we had with strong teams, it was a different mentality. It was not so much about improving, it was about winning every night. We had a different team and it was a different situation and different atmosphere and I think that it's important for all of us to understand that when we come back, no matter who is here, we need to set our goals, and we won't do that until we are back because we don't know who will be here but to have the most fun in the regular season and beyond that is to win games."
- Were you encouraged by the young players, "I was impressed. They came up at a pretty difficult time, a lot of guys are leaving, good friends and guys who have been here for a long time and we are not doing great but the guys came up with a great attitude and worked hard and that is what we needed. It was fun to see them play and the hunger they had to be here. They did a great job."
- What do you focus on this summer, "my focus, when I talk to Ben about my game, is three things. You have technically, mentally and physically. I will look at all three and see where I can improve and right now, take a deep breath and get a good read on this year, what was good in the first half and I was really happy with how things were going and the second half wasn't as strong for different reasons. Need some time to reflect and analyze on that. There is some excitement and coming back here and doing it better and seeing how far we can push it already next season when it starts again."
- On emotional outbursts after goals, "when you compete and you are not winning, of course you feel frustration and that is more me dealing with me more than anything. I've always been like that, the last two months have been a little bit more extreme with how things are going. There is always a fine line when you compete about staying calm and focused and being on edge. It's all about controlling that energy and emotions so it benefits the game and how you play. I feel I play better when I am on edge but still controlling my emotions. There is a lot of things to look at and I will have time to look at it before training for next year."