Jeff Gorton had a conference call with the media today and said the following:
- Was there any worry after how Shattenkirk played in Washington, "we didn't see it that way. We were following that series, we were in the playoffs and had people following that series pretty closely. We felt that Kevin wasp laying pretty well and if you look and you track what he was doing and how he was playing, their PP was pretty good with him on it-by all of our reports, scouting reports, we thought he was playing better than some people in the media, perhaps."
- Where do things go now at center, "I would say that we have some ongoing things to try and help us at center, we know it's a need and a hole there we are trying to fix. We also have the luxury of JT Miller, who we feel is a natural center and at some point we are hoping he can make that move and that gives us a little flexibility. We are looking. We have had some discussions with teams and trade scenarios. Definitely aware of the situation and see how it moves going forward."
- Is it a trade scenario or a free agent, "I don't know. Hard to say. We are looking at both scenarios, check out the market and see what players can help you and prices and all of that info. We have talked to several teams about centers and we will see where it takes us."
- On getting Shattenkirk at a reasonable price, "I can only talk for us. Kevin is a player we have coveted for a while, offensive defenseman on the right side that can do so many things for you. PP, as everyone noted, is as advertised. I would say that the market is what it is. We try to stay away from those 5-6-7-8 year deals right now and figure out where the cap is going as we move forward. We felt it was an opportunity to get a really good player for a term that we could live with and felt was fair for him and fair for us. As far as other players and talking around the league and seeing what was available, I felt that was the case, it didn't seem like the 5-6-7 year deals were out there for many teams. It's interesting change in the market."
- Where does Shattenkirk fit in, "At some point I will leave it up to AV but it's clear we feel he is a top-four defenseman and we feel we have good left defense and any one of them can have success, in particular Ryan McDonagh and Brady Skjei have done really well on the left side, strong skating. Whatever way we go, we think it's going to work out well for him but we are bringing him here to play him a lot."
- On the four-year term for Shattenkirk, "I think you gotta give credit to Kevin, he wanted to come here. I think that term deal was out there for him somewhere else. Here is a player that really wants to be here, left money on the table and that sent a pretty strong message to us. These 7 year deals are generally there, he might have got one but thankfully for us we got a player who wants to play for the Rangers, is from here, is an excellent player and four years worked out for both of us."
- On Zibanejad and Fast, "I talked most to the guys and ladies at the draft, ongoing, hasn't been a lot of talk this week, busy with the draft and free agency and setting the table there. Next week we will pick that up again and see where it takes us. Talks have been good and moving in the right direction."