Mats Zuccarello spoke with the media on Tuesday about this past season and said (SNY):
- On the season, "it's been a tough season for everyone, fans, players. The whole team and organization, not going to the playoffs is always tough, I've never been in this position before. It was a tough season mentally, we lost a lot of good players and friends but at the end of the day it's over and focusing on next year and it's going to be hopefully a good summer, a long summer to rest up and get healthy and get back next year and with the mindset to make the playoffs. Everyone is disappointed right now and will take some time to rest and it will be good next year, I think."
- On the coaching change, "sad for sure but it's like with the players, it's a business, nothing you can do about it. I've been here with them for five-years and it's sad to see that stuff happen. Nothing you can control and just focus on the team next year coming into camp, new year, positive year, a lot of young guys and hopefully some new guys. It's going to be good."
- On how he is physically, "I just had something done with my knee. It's been struggling for a bit now this season, I will rest up for 3-4 weeks and will start working out and should be good."
- What highlights were there, "the outdoor game for sure, we won that one, that was big for us. I don't really know. It's been a tough season all around and we lost some good friends and everything. Mixed feelings the whole season but seeing that we have some really good young players for the future is nice to see and that keeps you positive for going into next season."
- On his role next year, "same as it's always been, I have to be a leader, same thing and give 100% every night, that is the only thing you can control. The mindset for everyone should be that, no matter where or when, the only thing you can control is to give 100% and that is the mindset everyone should have and everyone will have next year. If we all have that it's going to be good."
- Do you have uncertainty about your situation, "I feel great. My knee was a little banged up but other than that I feel really good. Obviously I am not happy with my season, never happy when you don't make the playoffs. I need to have a useful summer, work out, that is the only thing I can control. Whether I am here next year or not is not up to me, hopefully I am and I have one more year on my deal and that is the only thing you can control right now. I feel good and ready to go for next season."