Nick Holden spoke with the media on Saturday in Toronto and said (NYR):
- On not being in the top-six, "we all kind of came into camp knowing it would be a competitive camp and it wasn't until the end that things started to sort themselves out. To be a successful team you need depth and unfortunately for me I am going to be the depth guy to start and see where it goes."
- Did the illness hurt you, "I missed the last exhibition game I was supposed to play in so you could say that it hurt and if I played well maybe I would have been in the top six. Unfortunate circumstances but I'm not going to dwell on it. You need to accept where you are right now and when you get called to play you make sure that you are ready."
- On adjusting to likely playing fewer games, "to not be able to start the season has been different than the past four years but it's a different thing and it's good to have depth on the team. It hasn't impacted my mentality and I am going to continue to work hard and when I get called to play I am going to make sure that I am ready to help the team win."
- On his camp and preseason, "I felt like I came in in good shape, did well in testing. Practice and games I felt good, moving well, practices are sometimes hard to judge how things are going because you are against your own team but in the games I felt I played pretty well but it doesn't really matter how you feel, you want to feel good but ultimately it's up to management and stuff about who is playing and that is part of the process."
- You haven't gotten any indication on when you might return, "for now they are going with those guys and they said to make sure I'm ready to go when the time is called. I've done this before early on and the most important thing for me is that I stay ready to go so that if anything pops up fast you are ready to play and your mind is still good."
- Do the coaches want you working on anything specific, "as of right now it's kind of the depth that we have and someone has to sit. As a player you are always looking to improve no matter how good you feel or how good you are. You always want to be better and I have some time to work on things and will take some time before, after practice to work on things that I think will help me get back in."