Alain Vigneault met with the media on Tuesday following practice and said (NYR):
- On being past the Winter Classic, "I'm happy with we have an Original Six team coming in like Chicago with their skill set and reputation that they bring to the table, it should have everyone's attention. There is no doubt that yesterday's game was special. It was really well run, our organization did a great job, we had the skate, the ball drop for friends and family that our people were able to attend. On the 1st it was so well executed and well run, there was obviously a lot of focus on that. Today we had a short but intense practice and tomorrow I am happy that Chicago is here. We have three more games before the bye week and we have to focus on that and it starts tomorrow against a real good team."
- On the PK, "it's one area that seems, lately, that we have been taking more penalties than we were earlier on. A lot of those penalties, some could go either way but at the end of the day our PK has been able to come up big for us at key times. That is part of what we are on, our body of work in the last 30 games or so has been pretty good and one of the reasons is our PK has really picked up the pace. We gave up one yesterday but we had some pretty good kills after that, we are obviously going to be tested tomorrow."
- On switching up the lines, "I didn't think that Mika's line was generating a lot at 5 on 5. I thought Nash was working hard and he has already played with Hayes, that has been a good fit, Hayes and Grabs have been a real good fit. Just a subtle little move, hopefully it gets Mika going, we need him to play up to his quality, he is a good player and needs to play well for us. I am hoping that by putting JT with him and Zuccy will be a good line for us."
- On getting Fast back, "he is such a low maintenance player, and I have said this many times, any guy up front that wants to know how to play the system and how to do the little thing right, all you have to do is watch him. Watch 20 minutes of Jesper Fast playing hockey on the forecheck, backcheck, wall, boards, stick position. He just understands the game and gets it. Lately he has been able to make some pretty good plays that have led to goals. If we can get a little bit more of that offensive contribution, offensive side that I think he has, he is a very important player for our team."
- On scratching Lettieri for the Winter Classic, "he had played real well, that is why we decided to keep him for this week, we are going on the road, so we will keep him for this week and then after that we will decide what happens. At this point, since we are playing tomorrow and then going to Arizona and Vegas, I want at least one extra forward and extra D and we will make those game by game decisions."
- Anything knew on Kreider, "I haven't heard and I don't expect to here anything."
- Was he there yesterday, "I don't think he was, my last conversation with me and Rammer and him, because I saw him the other day, he came in, he felt that he would be a distraction by coming in so he didn't want to come in. I said no, that his teammates would be happy to see him but it is what it is."