Alain Vigneault spoke with reporters following the Rangers morning skate this morning (NYR):
- What is missing, "After a game, I think everyone is obviously emotionally attached to what just happened, sometimes the words that you use, the adjectives aren't the right ones, I would say that simply put, our execution is off right now. It's hurting us as far as the number of opps we are giving the opposition. A lot of that has to do with technically being a little sounder in our end, a lot of it has to do with managing the puck from the defense up. After watching the last game, the number of unforced errors and turnovers in the neutral zone was very high and that is why they had so many quality chances."
- Has the approach to the team changed, "My approach from game to game is the same. I am trying to improve our team. I think our record is good, but I definitely believe that we are going to need to play better moving forward. I have said that on a number of occasions to you and the players and we are trying to work at that. Sometimes the results might be going your way so when you are pointing out certain things it might be a little more challenging to understand since the results are so positive. After I think three losses in a row we have everyone's attention."
- On why Dan Boyle is back in, "opposition, power play, a couple of things went into our thinking there and that is what we will do tonight."
- On Derek Stepan, "he saw our doctors and he will be out 4-6 weeks."
- What does that do to the lines, "just trying to see with the lines that we had this morning if we can't be very responsible defensively and make better decisions with the puck and give us a good chance tonight."
- Was 4-6 what you expected for Step, "yes, broken ribs so..."
- On JT Miller, "Tough answer, right now I think, whether it be him or Hayes or, I don't want to get into names, I think that there is more there and it's my job as head coach and my staff to work with these players to get them to their full potential. I think there is more there with JT and we need to do a better job of getting it out."
- On Carolina, "hard working team, defense are always pushing the pace and getting involved. They compete and they work hard and they are the best faceoff team in the league so most of the time they are starting with the puck which makes it challenging. A real tough game ahead of us."
- (Before Megna called up) On bringing up a player, "we are here all week, it's pretty easy. We will sort it out on a day to day basis.