The Devils would like to retain defenseman Peter Harrold, who will be unrestricted. Lamoriello also said he'll address Alexei Ponikarovksy after dealing with Patrik Elias, Dainius Zubrus, David Clarkson and Marek Zidlicky.
Yet, somehow they still managed to claim the season series from the Eastern Conference's top team.
New Jersey came from 2-0 down to send its home crowd out with a 3-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night at Prudential Center.
Tags: Andrei Loktionov, Brandon Sutter, Brenden Morrow, DAVID CLARKSON, Eric Gelinas, Evgeni Malkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, Jarome Iginla, Johan Hedberg, Jussi Jokinen, Kris Letang, Marc-Andre Fleury, Matt Cooke, New Jersey Devils, PATRIK ELIAS, Peter DeBoer, Peter Harrold, Postgame Thoughts, Scott Stevens, Steve Sullivan
When: 7:30 p.m. ET; Pregame show at 7 p.m. ET
Where: Prudential Center, Newark, NJ
Tags: ADAM HENRIQUE, Alexei Ponikarovsky, DAINIUS ZUBRUS, DAVID CLARKSON, Gameday, JACOB JOSEFSON, James Neal, Marek Zidlicky, New Jersey Devils, PATRIK ELIAS, Paul Martin, Sidney Crosby, Steve Sullivan
- The full allotment from New Jersey's 3-2 win Tuesday over the Montreal Canadiens. (NorthJersey.com) (NJ.com) (NHL.com) (AP)
- Marek Zidlicky told Tom Gulitti he hopes to return to New Jersey in 2013-14. (Fire & Ice)
- Steve Sullivan hopes the Devils continue to win despite failing to qualify for the postseason. (NJ.com)
Marek Zidlicky played his best game this season. The Devils outshot the Buffalo Sabres 39-22 and even scored a power-play goal.
Yet, all that still couldn't translate into a win.
Tags: ANDY GREENE, ANTON VOLCHENKOV, Christian Ehrhoff, Dainius Zubr, JACOB JOSEFSON, Jochen Hecht, Kevin Porter, Marek Zidlicky, MARK FAYNE, Martin Brodeur, Patrick Kaleta, PATRIK ELIAS, Editorial Aside, Postgame Thoughts, Ryan Miller, Steve Bernier, Steve Ott, Steve Sullivan, TRAVIS ZAJAC
On a night when the Jets, Rangers, Islanders and Capitals all won, New Jersey could only muster one goal in a 2-1 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday at Prudential Center.
"There's some frustration in not winning," Devils coach Pete DeBoer said. "We have to find a way to win games ... that's where the frustration lies."
Tags: DAVID CLARKSON, Leo Komarov, MARK FRASER, Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils, PATRIK ELIAS, Peter DeBoer, Editorial Aside, Postgame Thoughts, Steve Sullivan, Toronto Maple Leafs, Tyler Bozak
We finally found out on which line and with whom he'll be playing.
Tags: Alexei Ponikarovsky, Andrei Loktionov, DAINIUS ZUBRUS, DAVID CLARKSON, Ilya Kovalchuk, Lineup Changes, New Jersey Devils, PATRIK ELIAS, Steve Sullivan, Travis Zajack
Here's some numerical knowledge that back that up.
Minus-3- Marek Zidlicky's rating in New Jersey's last four games. Zidlicky is a minus-8 overall this year.
Tags: By The Numbers, DAVID CLARKSON, Ilya Kovalchuk, Marek Zidlicky, Martin Bordeur, Philadelphia Flyers, Steve Sullivan
We're not too surprised by Sullivan playing the right side considering the Devils currently have four NHL-quality left wings in Carter, Zubrus, Ponikarovsky and Elias. DeBoer also noted that Sullivan will see some time on the power play, which is something Sullivan did in Pittsburgh last year. Worth noting is that Sullivan played the point for the Pens' power play, which is something the Devils have been missing since they lost Ilya Kovalchuk to injury. The key here will be remembering to keep your expectations in check. Sullivan is basically ancient (38) in NHL years and hasn't scored 20 goals since the oddity year of 2006-07. We also don't know where Sullivan will play in terms of linemates, which DeBoer says he's still formulating. That'll go a long way in determining just how much of an offensive role Sullivan will have with these Devils.
- Jaromir Jagr scored the game's only goal, as the Devils fell to 0-2-3 in their last five, losing 1-0 in Boston Thursday night (NHL.com) (NJ.com) (AP) (NorthJersey.com)
- Tom Gulitti discusses how dominating games and losing has become a familiar trend (Fire & Ice)
- Guilitti also says that newly-acquired forward Steve Sullivan is "good to go" (NorthJersey.com)
- Tom Kostopolous was not in the lineup last night, but according to Rich Chere, Kostopolous was held out by Devils coach Pete DeBoer for precautionary reasons after being knocked out by the Islanders Matt Martin on Monday. (NJ.com)
?I?ve always been a fan of is,? DeBoer said this morning in Boston, where the Devils will take on the Bruins tonight. ?He?ll give us some speed, an offensive guy. I?ve got to try and find him some chemistry and with Kovy out I think he?ll be a nice burst of offense, hopefully, for us.?
Tags: ADAM HENRIQUE, Andrei Loktionov, DAVID CLARKSON, Devils, Devs, Matt D'Agostini, New Jersey Devils, Steve Bernier, Steve Sullivan, Trade Deadline, TRAVIS ZAJAC
- The Devils made a deal Wednesday, adding 37-year old Steve Sullivan. Sullivan was a Devil from 1995-1997, amassing 31 points (Yahoo! Sports)
- Tom Gulitti caught up with Sullivan on Wednesday after the trade was announced (Fire & Ice)
- There was trade speculation involving Marek Zidlicky on Wednesday, but Rich Chere says he was dealing with a family concern and will play Thursday in Boston (NJ.com)
- Meanwhile, the Rangers' additions looked good on Thursday. Ryane Clowe scored twice, Derick Brassard had a three-point game and John Moore even scored in a goal in New York's 6-1 win over Pittsburgh (NHL.com)
Via the Twitter feed of The Record's Tom Gulitti:
- Steve Sullivan will travel to New Jersey for a routine physical exam. He won't be available Thursday in Boston but will be available to play against Toronto on Saturday.
- Lamoriello called Sullivan a "depth forward," which is similar to what we thought of the deal.
- The Devils could've made other moves, but the price was too high. Lamoriello said he had to keep in mind the draft picks he'd already traded away this season in deals for Alexei Ponikarovsky and Andrei Loktionov.
- Lamoriello said he doesn't regret giving up 2013 third-round pick for Marek Zidlicky at least year's deadline.