When the Yankees return to the Bronx to continue the ALDS against the Red Sox, they'll be handing the ball to Luis Severino to start Game 3 and CC Sabathia to start Game 4 (if necessary), manager Aaron Judge said Friday.
After J.A. Happ starts Game 1, Masahiro Tanaka gets the ball for Game 2.
Severino, who tossed four scoreless innings in the Wild Card game against the Athletics, will be on regular (four days) rest for his start.
He faced the Red Sox five times this season, and was up and down, excelling at Yankee Stadium while struggling at Fenway Park:
- April 10 in Boston: Allowed five runs on eight hits while walking three and striking out six in 5.0 innings
- May 8 at Yankee Stadium: Allowed two runs on six hits while walking none and striking out 11 in 6.0 innings
- July 1 at Yankee Stadium: Tossed 6.2 shutout innings while allowing two hits, walking three, and striking out six
- Aug. 3 in Boston: Allowed four runs on seven hits while walking three and striking out two in 5.2 innings
- Sept. 19 at Yankee Stadium: Allowed one run on six hits while walking one and striking out six in 7.0 innings
Sabathia last pitched on Sept. 27 and was not on the Wild Card roster.
He faced the Red Sox three times this season, making it past four innings just once:
- May 10 at Yankee Stadium: Allowed four runs on nine hits while walking none and striking out five in 4.0 innings
- June 29 at Yankee Stadium: Allowed one run on six hits while walking one and striking out five in 7.0 innings
- Aug. 2 in Boston: Allowed two runs on three hits while walking four and striking out two in 3.0 innings