It looks like the Yankees have a reinforcement coming off the IL, as Miguel Andujar told SNY's Andy Martino that he will "probably" come off the list Saturday.
Andujar has been out since the opening series with the Orioles due to a partially torn labrum in his right shoulder. He has been rehabbing it in hopes that he wouldn't have to undergo surgery, which would keep him out longer. His throwing and hitting programs were responding well, and he was able to play in a couple rehab games without experiencing any setbacks.
However, that doesn't mean surgery is entirely off the table. He told Martino that he's not sure if it's been ruled out, but manager Aaron Boone said he is "optimistic" the tear won't need it. Andujar's tests have all been positive.
The Yankees optioned first baseman Mike Ford after Friday's win to make room for Andujar.
The young third baseman played in just three games so far this season, and is ready to get back into the lineup. He went 3-for-13 with one RBI and two strikeouts against the O's. But during his extended Spring Training game last Friday, he showed off his power with a homer in a 2-for-3 performance.
With Andujar returning, it will be up to Boone to see how they deploy the 2018 AL Rookie of the Year runner-up. The labrum tear is still there, and the Yankees would obviously like to keep it at bay. To not put too much stress on it, Boone noted that the team could DH him more. The thought of placing him at first base was also not out of the question.
No matter how they use him, Andujar will be a big help with the Yankees facing a tough test in their next 10 games at home.