Injured Yankees ace Luis Severino, who is progressing in a deliberate way as he works his way back from rotator cuff inflammation, is still not ready to throw from the mound, manager Aaron Boone said Sunday, according to The Athletic's Lindsey Adler.
Adler noted that the Yankees will let Severino decide when he's ready to progress to throwing from the mound.
Boone said earlier this month that he is optimistic Severino will take the next step soon, with that step being graduating from long-tossing to the next phase of rehab. Severino took his first big step toward a return on March 20, when he threw on flat ground.
The 25-year-old Severino has been dealing with the injury since March 5, and GM Brian Cashman announced in late March that the best-case scenario for Severino would be a May return -- confirming the timeline an orthopedic surgeon gave SNY shortly after the injury.
Severino does not have any structural damage in his shoulder, but he is basically re-doing his Spring Training.
The Yanks have also been without CC Sabathia, but the hope is that Sabathia -- who is already pitching in rehab games -- will return during New York's next homestand, which starts on April 12.
Among the rest of the Yankees' walking wounded, Aaron Hicks is throwing but still not hitting and Dellin Betances is scheduled to face hitters at some point this week.
In addition to Severino, Sabathia, Hicks, and Betances, the Yankees are currently without Giancarlo Stanton, Miguel Andujar (who could need season-ending shoulder surgery) and Troy Tulowitzki. Meanwhile, Didi Gregorius is still working his way back from Tommy John surgery.