The New York Yankees allowed four runs in the ninth inning after a 3 hour, 35 minute rain delay in a 9-6 loss to the Texas Rangers on Monday/Tuesday. >> Read more
- The Yankees led 6-5 in the ninth inning when umpires stopped the game to have the groundscrew bring the tarp onto the field. Aroldis Chapman walked the only batter he faced before rain stopped the game.
- Kirby Yates hit three batters and allowed two-run singles to Adrian Beltre and Elvis Andrus to blow the save.
- The game, which was delayed 24 minutes at the start of the night due to the threat of rain, did not end until 2:44 a.m. ET.
- Mark Teixeira went 3 for 5 with a home run while Carlos Beltran and Didi Gregorius combined to go 6 for 9 with one RBI and two runs scored.
- Teixeira homered for the second straight day, hitting a solo shot off Luke Jackson in the seventh inning to give the Yankees a 6-4 lead.
- Brian McCann and Gregorius hit RBI singles in the fifth inning to turn a 4-3 deficit into a 5-4 lead.
- Ivan Nova (6-5) gave up four runs and six hits in five innings.
- Andrew Miller allowed a solo home run to Rougned Odor in the eighth inning that made it 6-5.
- Chi Chi Gonzalez (0-1) allowed five runs and 10 hits in five innings.
CC Sabathia (5-4, 2.71 ERA) faces Cole Hamels (8-1, 2.79 ERA) in the second game of a four-game series Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.