The Yankees took a 4-2 lead in the fifth inning, but gave up six runs in the seventh and lost to the Detroit Tigers 10-4 on Sunday. >> Box score
5 things to know from Sunday's game...
1) David Hale struggled against the Tigers, allowing two earned runs on two hits in just 1.2 IP. With a runner on second base, LHP James Reeves came in for relief and struck out Daz Cameron to end the second inning.
2) Rosell Herrera got the start in right field, and led the Yankees with two RBI while going 3-for-3 from the plate. Brett Gardner also went 1-for-2 with an RBI and a walk, while Luke Voit went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a strikeout.
3) Gary Sanchez went 0-for-3 as the designated hitter on Sunday, bringing his spring training total to 0-for-9 from the plate with three strikeouts, one walk, and one RBI.
4) The Yankees 2019 first-round pick Anthony Volpe got his first at-bat of spring training as a pinch-hitter for Sanchez in the eighth inning, as the 18-year-old grounded out to short.
5) Miguel Yajure was the losing pitcher after allowing three earned runs on two hits in 1.1 IP. The 21-year-old righty also struck out four batters and recorded the hold. RHP Kaleb Ort allowed three earned runs on two hits, including a grand slam to Ryan Kreider. In the eighth inning, Adonis Rosa struck out one, but allowed two earned runs on two hits.
The Yankees are off on Monday, and will play the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday, March 2 at 1:05 PM at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Masahiro Tanaka is scheduled to pitch for the Yankees, with Martin Perez starting for the Red Sox.