The Yankees jumped off to a hot start in their first Spring Training game of the 2019 season, but the defending World Series-champion Red Sox took home the win on their home field, 8-5. >> Box Score
Things to know about today's game...
1) Gleyber Torres opened up his sophomore campaign with a bomb over the center field wall for a solo homer. He finished the day 1-for-2.
2) Greg Bird needs to have a good spring if he wants to beat out Luke Voit for the first base job, and he started off on the right foot. He went 2-for-2 with a double.
3) The Yankees had a 3-1 lead after the first two innings, but the Red Sox put up a five-spot in the bottom of the third. New York's starter, Nestor Cortes Jr., was the main reason for that surge. He ended his day giving up four runs on six hits while striking out three in 2.2 innings pitched.
4) Yankees top prospect Estevan Florial had a great chance to give his team the lead late in the eighth inning with bases loaded and two outs. However, he grounded out to leave the game stuck at 6-5 Red Sox.
5) Other notable Yankees that got a hit on the day were Aaron Hicks (1-for-2, RBI), Clint Frazier (1-for-3), and Tyler Wade (1-for-2, run).
What's Next: The Yankees take on the Rays on the road at 1:10 p.m. on Sunday.