Speaking a week after the Yankees were knocked out of the playoffs by the Red Sox, GM Brian Cashman gave an outlook on a wide range of topics about the team during interviews on WFAN and The Michael Kay Show.
Cashman said he is sticking with C Gary Sanchez, who struggled mightily on 2018, hitting just .186 /.291/.406 in 89 games. But he noted that there were bright spots, including his two home-run night in the ALDS, and Cashman believes Sanchez has the potential to bounce back and thrive.
"We know what he's capable of doing, and I'm already getting phone calls to be honest from clubs trying to knock on our door to see if he's available," Cashman explained. "And he's not."
Cashman also provided injury updates and rotation updates and provided a grade for Aaron Boone after his first season as manager...
- Didi Gregorius is expected to return between June and August, according to Cashman, who said that the Yankees have options internally with Gleyber Torres, Tyler Wade, and Ronald Torreyes.
- Cashman spoke positively about AJ Happ, who he says is "someone that, whether we're lucky enough to retain or somebody else acquires … he's wired the right way,''
- Aaron Boone receved top scores for his performance as manager in his first season. "I thought he did a great job,'' Cashman said. "He's a special person. Dropping him into the middle of this environment and doing the job he did was remarkable, so I would give him A's across the board."
- When asked about CC Sabathia, Cashman would not say whether the Yankees would be re-signing him.
- After missing an entire season due to injury, Jacoby Ellsbury is expected to return for spring training.